Within the framework of the Cross Border European Neihborhood and Partnership Instrument (ENPI), the Confederation of Egyptian European Business Associations (CEEBA) will participate in a 30 months project that deals with the fostering of Mediterranean Diet and enhancement of traditional foodstuff (MedDiet) across the mediterranean. Besides CEEBA, there are 11 partners that promote and conduct MedDiet.
1. Special Agency Centre of Services for enterprises (Italy, Sardenga)
2. Olive Oil Towns Association (Italy, Toscana)
3. Mediterranean Diet Foundation (Spain, Catalonia)
4. Chamber of Commerce and Industry of (Tunesia, Tunis)
5. The Routes of the Olive Tree (Greece, Peleponnese)
6. Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Messina (Greece, Peleponnese)
7. Forum of the Adriatic and Ionian Chambers (Italy)
8. Spanish Association of Olive Cities (Spain, Andalusia)
9. Associations of Mediteranean Chambers of Commerce and Industry (Spain, Catalonia)
10. National Agriculture Research Institute of Tunisia (Tunisia, Ariana)
11. Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Agriculture of Beirut (Lebanon, Beirut)
The specific objective of the project is to increase the awareness of consumers (in particular young people and children - exposed to the risk of losing Mediterranean healthy eating habits) and of SMEs (in particular restaurants) about the advantages of the Mediterranean Diet (MD). This shall be achieved by reinforcing the capacity of schools, local authorities, chambers of commerce / business organizations and policy making institutions to implement effective and sustainable initiatives for safeguarding MD in Egypt, Greece, Italy, Lebanon, Spain and Tunisia.
After 30 months and in respect of a successful MD project implementation process, three important results shall be achieved:
1. Increased capacity of schools and local authorities of Egypt, Greece, Italy, Lebanon, Spain and Tunisia to implement initiatives aiming at increasing the awareness about the advantages of the MD among children, young people and other groups of consumers.
2. Improved capacity of chambers of commerce and business organizations of Egypt, Greece, Italy, Lebanon, Spain and Tunisia in stimulating SMEs (restaurants) in proposing foodstuff coherent with an authentic MD.
3. Improved capacity of policy making institutions of Egypt, Lebanon and Tunisia in designing policies and instruments aimed at safeguarding the MD.
MD remains a common UNESCO intangible culture heritage that creates great opportunities for social and economic development both in northern and southern Mediterranean countries. All participating countries have a common dietary pattern but have faced deep changes in Mediterranean dietary habits in the last years though. The cross mediterranean joint cooperation between the above mentioned magnificient partners opens up synergetic effects, economic adavantages as regional expertise and territorial competence relevant to the scope.